Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My new diet

Counting calories... I was so hoping to avoid this. But here I am. Sometimes I just dont' feel like at the end of the day I know if I did well or not. I'll know I resisted those three snacks, but thatdoesn't necessarily outweigh all the crap I did eat. I've been hanging out at the same three pounds since about April and actually have crept up a few even.

So, one of the things that I need is accountability. I thought of posting how I'm doing on this blog. Of course this does require some consistency on my part in posting and to some extent it requires that people consistently read it. But I'm going to give it a try.

The diet: less than 1400 calories a day*. with one splurge day on the weekend

That's not a staggeringly low number. Which makes it doable for me. Maybe the results will also be slow. We'll see. here's how I did this week:
Wed. 9/17- 1495- didn't count up my dinner before eating it
thurs 9/18- 1275?!- I may have forgotten somethign?
fri 9/19- ok, this is embarassing but it's th splurge day I guess- 2425- yeah and that's just a guess
Sat 9/20- 1400 right about
sun. 9/21-1300?
Mon. 9/22- 1520- darn it; i definitely did a late night snack that ruined my day
Tues. 9/23- 1350- resisted that late night snack!
Wed. 9/24- 1375- I can't find anything to eat for 25 calories tonight :)

I welcome your comments as it will make the accountability part feel more real.

*I'm learning what the caloric content of things is. My numbers will not be entirely accurate. I both over and under estimate so far. I also don't always count fruit and veggie snacking or one calorie drink in a day.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Good for you, Laur, keep trying things.

Want to email me every other morning about how well you did? Or can I help some other way with accountability?

240 cals. is nothing on a true splurge day. I usu don't count, but estimate b/w 5,000-8,000 cals. But keeping your splurges at a healthy 2500 will really help prevent you from developing the insidious splurge habit and dependence.

Also, here are some things the experts say to do:

Try allowing yourself a late-night snack in the middle of the week, if you were good the two days before, but make it low-carb. I've slowly trained myself to crave low-carb foods, none of which I used to like much, so it can be done.

Also, make sure you're eating 4-6 times a day, to keep yourself full and get used to small meals. And mix up the nutrients: a third fat, a third protein, a third carbs (which include whole grain breads and fruit and vegetables). But not all your day's carbs at one or two meals, to keep yourself full and regulate insulin (which lowers fat storage) and hunger hormones.