Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Eyeballs
Ok, this is weird but lately I'm amazed by eyeballs. I look at my daughters up close a lot because I nurse her 7 times a day. Here she is this tiny little being who can't do anything for herself but she has this incredibly sophisticated instrument attached to her. We have these high tech video cameras, but the human eye has all that and more- the ability to focus close and far, it sees things that it's not looking at peripherally, can look in multiple directions in fractions of seconds, has mechanisms to protect itself and lubricate itself to keep optimal working conditions... I don't know I just find this amazing. And this is only one of teh instruements on our body that carries out very specific functions for us each day-- no every minute of the day!! And eyes can say things with a slight movement of muscle through their expression that don't even need to be put into words. exasperation, love, sadness, worry, come here, DON'T DO THAT. They are not only an input interface, but they also communicate. How cool!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow. You think MUCH deeper thoughts than when I nursed. You always were a smart one. :)
And yes, eyes are amazing. I like how you call them "eyeballs".
I think "eyeballs" for me implies an instrument or mechanism, whereas eye is more of a feature that we use to describe a person's face.
yeah, that's weird that I said eyeballs...
Post a Comment